skip to main | skip to sidebar

Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Raima Sen likes to stay out of big picture

Raima Sen is a busy actress today — busy warding off rumours about her so-called ‘incredible performance’ in Slumdog Millionaire.

Raima Sen

And, her mobile hasn’t stopped ringing ever since the film has been making waves the world over. “I just can’t figure out what fuelled these rumours! I mean, I’m flooded with messages congratulating me about my great performance in Slumdog.... And I’m like ‘which shot did you possibly see me in the film?’ For the last time, I am NOT in Slumdog Millionaire!”

Well, that’s one film less on the cards for Raima, who has never been keen on staying in the limelight. “I don’t really see the point of making statements to stay in the headlines. If I have a film coming along, then I’ll go all out of my way to promote it. Otherwise, I like to stay out of the big picture.”

Is that why she picks up unusual roles like Milly Sen in Honeymoon Travels Pvt Ltd or Maya in her upcoming film? She laughs as she brushes away the notion, “Well, it’s just my kind of luck that I have only got roles like that. It’s an art to look good while you run around the trees too, you know! But I’m content with the kind of roles that I do and it works for me.”

Raima’s kitty is filled with projects of all kinds. “My next film is being directed by Madhureeta Anand. I play the role of this girl who has many aspirations but has never really done much about it. She feels tied down by her marriage. She keeps getting into situations and imagines Jai, the character played by Randeep Hooda, comes and rescues her every time.”

The actor is also working on Teen Patti, which has Amitabh Bachchan playing the main lead. “But, as of now, it’s too soon to talk about it,” she informs.

Flirting with Bollywood does not mean that Raima has forgotten her first love, Bengali cinema. “I am just wrapping up shooting for this film called The Japanese Wife which is directed by Aparna Sen. It has Rahul Bose in it along with the Japanese actor, Chigasu Takaku. I play a widowed girl from the Sunderbans who is forced to take refuge in his house. It’s an amazingly sweet and improbable love story. It was the first time I worked with Aparna Sen and she is a fantastic director to work with.” Balancing commercial cinema with meaningful cinema is an art and Raima Sen has managed to tread the thin line with success.

1 comments:

  1. you are simply awesome....every way you resemble your grand mother and you are very close to being as perfect as her

Post a Comment